Surfing Mums  and some surfing History about me Salty


Surfing Mums Group: Gold Coast QLD- Coolangatta Surfing Mums I also used to go to the Alley Surfing Mums.

Time surfed: I started surfing when I was 15 year old on a standup board. I grew up at Bondi Beach a place with the worst surf and  the biggest crowd. In summer you can't even find a place to put your towel. I did all my schooling there. I was always at the beach body surfing and using a surf mat then a boogie board. I was scared that the fiberglass board would hit me that's why I didn't start till I was 15. There were no surf school back then so I learned to stand on my knees first that took 6 months and then stand up another 6 months. I remember catching the whitewash and just dreaming about being able to go out the back and blend in not look like a kook. That's one of the reasons I coached surfing for years because you can learn to stand in 1 hour. Back then there were hardly any girls that surfed and there was a real stigma attached to surfing. You had to be a beach bum no hoper and all the girls were gay, yes crazy times back there at Bondi. I have come along way since then. In my 20's I used to compete in surf contests. I also considered going professional except they always held the contests in the worst onshore conditions. So I decided to travel the world anyway surfing the best conditions I would enter contests if they were on in the countries I chose. I have trophies from California, Brazil and here on the Gold Coast. I got to surf Trestles with only 4 girls out, amazing rock break! I only traveled to countries that had surf as a consequence I speak Spanish because there is so much surf in Spanish speaking countries. I lived in Spain and I have been to Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, and Chile. Surfing has brought me friends from all over the world. Its a common bond that is great to travel with. I eventually went to Brazil where I found my hubby is a small gorgeous surf town, Itacare. So I can add Portuguese to my list of languages.

Best thing about Surfing Mums:
    When I had kids I was so stuck because I couldn't surf as often. By my second child I had discovered Surfing Mums. I saw an add online for it. I finally found a group for me. A place where people liked going to beach and also going for a surf. Most of the Mum friends I knew were scared of the sun because of wrinkles It would 30 degreees and they still didn't want to go to the beach. My kids could make friends to in a fun outdoor beach setting. In the beginning it was hard to leave my daughter with someone I didn't know so I came a few times to meet everyone. My daughter was a crier and I felt guilty leaving her with someone screaming her head off. So I would surf very quickly. Eventually she got used to it and loved coming and to this day her best friend is from the group. I started going when she was about 6 months old. She has just turned 7 years old. 

Surfing Mums gives you friends for life.


Lousy Waves alone or perfect crowed waves: When I was learning I would like those choppy days at Bondi because I had a chance to catch a wave to myself.Now I'm so spoiled living in the best right hand point break in the world. I would say I rather catch one perfect long wave then a dozen lousy wind swept waves. 
Lefts or Rights all of them if they are perfect. I am a Goofy footer so rights are my back hand but thats all I surf so its all good. So as everyone who knows me my favourite surf break is Rainbow Bay. I was such a treat travelling to perfect left hand point breaks in Sumbawa- Lakey peak, Costa Rica- Pavones and Mexico- K55s.

My Favourite surfer is Kelly Slater has just knows the wave and he will always find the tube when there are none.

Advise for beginning surfers: Practice your jump up to your feet lots of times before you hit the water even at home to build upper body strength. Jump to your feet and straight to surfer position. Legs on the stringer with a side ways tilt, arms out and KNEES BENT. Final advice is just go surfing as often as you can till it all becomes automatic. It will get easier!






Love that Ocean! See you out in the surf! SALTY. surfergirlgoldcoast.blogspot.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Micheal Hutchince - INXS - 03 - Never Tear Us Apart - Hard Rock Live 1988 - YouTube

Don't use ZIPPAY, they SUCK your wallet dry

Stunning Soft Fringe Leather Coat Vintage 80s Brown Jacket L 10 12 | eBay